The San Buenaventura Mission was founded March 31, 1782 by Father Junípero Serra, a Spanish Franciscan friar, on land originally inhabited by the coastal Chumash Native Americans in their village of Mitsquanaqa’n. Although land was promised to the 500 displaced inhabitants, very little was allocated, and the few parcels finally “given” in the 1840s were soon lost. Many Chumash found work on local ranches, but diseases further ravaged their population. The lot of the Chumash continued to deteriorate with the arrival of the Anglo-Americans in 1847. In 1855 a small piece of land 60 miles inland and to the north near the Santa Ynez mission was “set aside” for the last remaining only 109 coastal Chumash survivors.